If you’ve been following along in this series, you already know we are showing you all of the lights using a 1986 Buick Regal T-type with the WH1 option as the example vehicle.
This particular Turbo Buick has a column shifter, meaning this car does not have a console.
Good thing we have other Buick Regal friends with cars we can use for showing you!
Column shifter cars obviously don’t have consoles, so they don’t have this light in their Buick Regals.
Interestingly enough, the power/ground wires that are used for this gear indicator light, are the same wires that instead run the ashtray light on non-console cars!
(post #18 will show you how to change the light in the ashtray)
This light turns on when the regular lights are on.
The OEM stock light used a white bulb.
OEM BULB NUMBER: 194
SOCKET COLOR: black
NUMBER OF WIRES ATTACHED: 2
WIRE COLOR & PURPOSE:
CONNECTOR 1: gray wire in from INST LPS fuse (via dimmer switch).
CONNECTOR 2: black wire out to ground.
HOW TO CHANGE BULB:
Remove ash tray.
Remove the 2 phillips screws from the ashtray area.
Lift up the gear shifter plate, and turn it sideways so you can access the underneath section.
Remove the 2- 7mm bolts holding the gear indicator bezel.
Lift up and out the slider piece (that ribbed piece that surrounds the shaft of the shifter) from the bottom side (nearest rear of car).
Lift that piece up high, and on the very left side you will see the black light socket.
Twist out the socket.
Pull the bulb out.
Replace with a new bulb.
Reassemble in reverse order.
This is part of an ongoing series about the details & specifics on Changing Light Bulbs in your Buick Turbo Regal:
2) Head Lights
3) Bumper Lights (running lights, turn signals)
4) Front Corner Side Marker Lights
5) Front Lower Cornering Lamps (Limited models)
6) Under Hood Light
7) Brake & Turn Tail Lights
8) Backup Lights (reverse light)
9) Rear Running Tail Lights (center & side corner marker lights)
10) License Plate Light
11) Trunk Light
12) Under Dash / Courtesy Lights (driver / passenger side)
13) Glovebox Light
14) Dash plaque (usually on Limited models)
15) Dash Gauges / Side Warning Lights (analog & digital dash)
16) HVAC Light (heater / AC)
17) Console Shifter Indicator Light (THIS page)
18) Ashtray Light on Non-Console Cars
19) radio light bulbs
20) Rear Window Defogger Button Light
21) Rear View Mirror Map Lights (upgraded option, not standard on Regals)
22) Passenger Visor Vanity Mirror Light
23) Dome Light (t-top & hardtop; factory & upgraded hardtop versions)
24) CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light, AKA Third Brake Light)
25) Lower Door Panel Courtesy Lights (Limited models)
26) Aftermarket Dash / Other Extra Add-on Gauge Lights (a-pillar, console under radio, etc)
27) Opera / Coach Lights (Limited models)
You can click any link above and be taken to the light of your choice.